Monday, December 13, 2010

The other literacy

I find myself considering the differences in mind-space needed for writing dialog and for writing the in between spaces around the dialog.

I can't write both at the same time. I have to go back and fill in. I focus so heavily when writing dialog, that story time, space, location, description get lost. It's like a script almost. Then I go back. I'm hoping that the dialog is pulling those things along, so maybe that is okay. But it seems sparse. I can write long descriptive passages, visual writer here, so the dialog just seems bare. Not an aural writer. I can't see conversations. Same reason I have such a hard time with meter in poetry. I can't see it. I wish there was a way for me to merge all this. Maybe in time, and practice.

But plus side, I just popped out 902 words.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty much how it works for me, too. In fact, the verbal dialogue is the first thing I write in general. It's the spinal column/backbone of the entire scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really good to hear. I wasn't sure which was the egg and which the chicken. I find writing dialog difficult, so I guess I should think of it as a backbone. Like that!

    ReplyDelete