Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Library finds

I checked out from the library the other day, Margaret Atwood's Negotiating With The Dead: A Writer on Writing, and liked it so much, I just got a copy on Amazon.

Best thing I've read of hers in some time. I liked the Canadian references very much. I also like the memoir-ish nature of the book. Not a huge amount of writing advice, but definitely a time-stamp on Canada's writing scene in the late 50's and 60's. She sets the table well in this, giving a pretty complete view of what it might feel like to be writing. Certainly many things I've considered before about writing.

Fun snarky quote I found the other day in The Greek Poets: Homer to the Present, edited by Peter Constantine.

A quote by someone named Christophoros of Mytiline:

How much better if an ox were to sit on your tongue,
than for your poems to plod like oxen over fields.


I laughed out loud.

When I picked up the book, I assumed from the cover that it was only the older Greek poets but was pleasantly surprised when I realized it went to the present day. Great stuff there. I wonder what it would be like to feel that sort of history behind you. The poetry hearkens back very often as one would expect. Hell, I would. It was also cool to feel the landscape change as the centuries passed. One thing I like about long views in collections, you can get that feeling and you do in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment