Saturday, August 22, 2009

::looks around::

From September's issue of Poetry:


Motherhood is perfect cover; you an hide away and no one would think to look for you.  You are not a free agent, hence uninteresting.  Your social self is a wraith in memory while your bodily self mucks about with a bairn in an afterlife quarantined to the physical.

This is a perfect description.  In an article entitled "As If Nature Talked Back to Me:  A Notebook" by Ange Mlinko.

I got only as far as this and then my kids needed something.  Perfect for this article, really.  I figured I'd better get this out there, because it should be, and also because we are going to be gone all day today, so I mightn't have a chance to remember.

Memory is a casualty of parenting as well.  When you most want it to be at its strongest.

I hope the article goes into how one can use this invisibility, to watch the world not watching you.  Middle age does the same thing, but with parenting, especially new parents, the watching the world does is at the baby or child.  You are watching too, so it works.  Middle age though, is when one learns to take advantage of being invisible.  The lines on ones face, and the grey sprouting is like Harry's cloak.  Draped over the face, it allows so much.  Not a bad trade off really.

Anyway, off for the day.  Hopefully I will remember to put the issue of Poetry in my purse, and will be able to read it on the drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment