Sunday, November 16, 2008

Silence

I think this blog isn't being indexed by google anymore, because the steady stream of certain searches I would get all the time dropped off the day after google said they weren't indexing everyone any more.  But then given the amount of posting I have done, understandable.

In better news, if you can, pick up a copy of The Best American Short Stories 2008.  The story by Kevin Brockmeier entitled The Year of Silence is so worth the price of the book.  This one is the best story I have read in a while.  Silence cuts out in the world for a moment, and what results is an exploration of humanity's needs and wants.  With a scifi bent, but kept totally human, this telling, and this writing is just genius.  I will totally check this guy's other stuff out. 

I also read and was extremely impressed by Man and Wife by Katie Chase.  Creepy as anything I have read in a while.  I don't want to give anything away, but "wife" is a flexible description shall we say.  She rides the line between reality and "ewwww call the police" so well.  Subtle horror and kept that way on purpose, because then even more eek.

Have a good one!  Or two, like these.

4 comments:

  1. "I think this blog isn't being indexed by google anymore, because the steady stream of certain searches I would get all the time dropped off"

    That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course; I just got a hit from the weirdest search topic I've ever had: "Did mice nest in Victorian ladies' hair?"

    ?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a weird one. I find it amusing how a few separate words can find topics that would never occur to you. I do get a lot of searches for "smarties boxes" (Canadian candy) because I did a post once about my memories of them. Who knew that many people googled smarties boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Would you happen to know if Man & Wife is available on the internet?

    Arya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arya: Not that I've seen. You might be able to get it though some library's interlibrary loan though. Totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete