Thursday, November 15, 2007

Recentness

This is an awesome post. I am not sure if I agree with everything it posits about the suburbs but it raises hugely valid questions. I am not sure if any specific designation as a city can be described in any one way. There is evil and good in any area. I think it is a class issue rather than locale. I know people who are living in poverty in the suburbs, both morally and financially.

I was raised far from the suburbs, but am now raising my children in them. Suburbs do soften life, I will admit that. It physically and literally removes you from blatant poverty. Often times people feel they have risen (artful choice of words to describe that escape from poverty don't you think?) out of poverty. In my most recent education last week, in New Orleans that was, is a true fact. You are on higher land when you have money. You are not flooded. You have literally risen.

I realized back in the day that purchasing a car removed me from poor life. I stopped seeing certain aspects of poorer life once I owned a car. I just did not see it any more. I think suburbs do that too. You just don't see it any more, and if you don't know to look, or know where to look, gone. But again, not necessarily different from a rich person who lives in a penthouse removed from the street.

Again it comes to character. That can be had anywhere. I think the more wealth one has, it is even more important to know where to look, and to choose to continue to look. The padding of money allows one the choice, if they choose, not to look. And if one chooses not to look, that IMO is evil. I am trying to raise my children in the suburbs, by trying to show them how to look past the padding of a suburban life. I will admit it is hard, as most parents want to shield their children from harshness. I can only hope and try that the character they, we forge is enough to get past the padding.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment