Saturday, November 10, 2007

Finding Marlowe

Prompted by the PBS In Search of Shakespeare marathon this morning, I dug out some Christopher Marlowe poetry I had about. I had never read Hero and Leander before. Have to say, great. Loved several of the lines especially.

And whose immortal fingers did imprint
That heavenly path with many a curious dint
That runs along his back; but my rude pen
Can hardly blazon forth the loves of men,
Much less of powerful gods: let it suffice
That my slack Muse sings of Leander's eyes;


This is truly beautiful I think. I always try to find the writer in the art, I know, a weakness. But sometimes it sits there plain.

Glister'd with breathing stars, who, where they went,
Frighted the melancholy earth, which deem'd
Eternal heaven to burn,


Awesome. The word gister'd, variation of glistened is so much harsher, next to breathing stars. You can't get much better than Eternal heaven to burn,

The PBS marathon said that Marlowe said that what you love will end you, or something approximating that. I agree completely. Your heaven will burn bright, sometimes more than one can hold.

Await the sentence of her scornful eyes;
Hehe, the reader looking down at his page!

What we behold is censur'd by our eyes.

He must have enjoyed rewrites!

That is all. Have a great evening. Off to reread.

No comments:

Post a Comment