Saturday, August 18, 2007

Chicken, seriously

Last night we went for the first time, to a restaurant that is best known for its chicken. They even have a giant chicken statue outside the restaurant. And a piano player for our entertainment who could play the piano well. Food was fine but that isn't why I am reporting it here.

I realized as we walked into the restaurant that I have to rewrite the restaurant scene in the story I am writing and locate it there. The ambiance, the dark paneling, and the pew! seating just has (insert much emphasis here) to be in the story. It smelled like an aged used book store, but shockingly, to me anyway, it wasn't a problem. I can't remember the last time I was at a restaurant with live music. Nothing intrusive at all (unlike the brass chicken decor), but still enjoyable. I could wholly picture my characters sitting there for their first dinner. Totally perfect location. I was surprised at my luck. Perfect. Maybe I will even have a chance to rewrite it today before the setting fades into the black of my short term memory. Yet another reason for noting it here. I love my tags.

Have a great one!!!

2 comments:

  1. "It smelled like an aged used bookstore" -- that's awesome. And one of my favorite smells!

    Lee's used to have a blind woman on an electric organ, but I don't think she's there anymore. She was old the last time I was there, and that was long ago. I suppose she's passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it might have been an organ. It sounded piano-y. I do not know instruments. This was a younger woman, maybe late 20's or so. We weren't sitting near her so I couldn't get a good look.

    Thanks re smells. It certainly was fascinating to have the chicken smell merged with the damper bookstore smell LOL!

    ReplyDelete