Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Bicentennial anniversary of sorts

200 posts here now.

When I started this, ::waxes philosophical:: I thought I would detail writing. I have, when I have been writing. This story I started is continuing in my mind, and I actually came to a realization about one scene just the other day! I was very pleased the two parts of the story converged the way they did. Now I just need to you know, actually write it.

All this writing I have done in several places now, often times for month long efforts, has taught me a couple of things. Yes, I do like to talk about myself. And I like to talk about my life going on around me. I am comfortable doing that it seems. It is a way for me to set stuff straight, finalize it, and make it sound.

I think the story has to proceed the same way. It will work itself out. The two parts working their way to each other is proof of that. Some say the story will tell itself, and I don’t know, but sometimes that does seem true. The imagining is the easy part. But the writing, the work of the story, I am more lazy about. I know that too. But it seems that things do take their own time, so I will let them. I mostly have taken that attitude about my writing, and life does intrude on it, and that is a fact I wouldn’t change. I do understand why writers have writer’s weekends though. Opportune time for me to write, when I actually can, is generally when I am not awake yet, or too tired late in the day to think about it. Not a room, as I have said before.

This place has turned toward poetry sometimes too. April, particularly with NaPoWriMo. Twice now, and probably a third go round in a few months. I have workshopped one of the poems, from last April, and will continue to as time allows. I also have a sonnet hanging unmetered over my head (I am picturing a diving board), that I really do want to fix. Plus others I haven’t looked at in months. They are waiting, like the apple in the tree next door. Still hanging you know, two winters now. If that apple can hang on, so can I. Wizened and gnarled. Hopefully the poetry doesn’t come out that way.

I think I am a better writer now too. Learned how much I need to learn, and that is the hallmark of learning. Once you think you know it all, you lose. I think whatever voice this is people hear when they read what I write, is clearer too. I have said elsewhere that the voice on the page, bright screen, does sound like the one I hear in my head. Most of the time. What that says about me to you, what you hear, is none of my business. Nothing I can do about that anyway so I don’t worry about it. I try, especially in the poetry I write, to get a little of my world, how I see it, in the poem. People have commented they like the “voice” in my poetry. That made me very happy. Connection!

There was more I meant to write, about this 200, but now I don’t remember. See, I didn’t write it down…

On to the next 200. Thank you for reading! Have a lovely evening.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Blogging...
    Glad to find your blog via

    NaPoWritMo,

    ReplyDelete