Saturday, October 08, 2005

Having a ball!

Much detailing has been happening lately. The back-story of several characters have been revealing themselves to me.

I wonder how much control I have of this process. I think not much. Therefore I don’t need to worry about it. Actually I haven’t much. It is what it is.

I told a group of friends about this project. They asked if it was a novel and I told them that for now I am simply referring to it as my story. Interesting if that isn’t capitalized and italicized. Swings back around to what it will be. The major character hasn’t been in my spotlight lately. I have realized that some of the plot has been chosen because I know I am not a good enough writer to tackle certain ambitious ideas I have. My ideas are always so much better than the follow through. Most of the time anyway. So I think that the story will keep coiling as I improve. I think I have, at least a little. What I have become is much more critical of what I am reading. That too has been a coiling process. Little leaps and catch-ups and little leaps. So I told them the story outline. Broad, and kept a few details to myself. I don’t know what they would think of them, experimental if you will, so I kept silent about those. The world is building, and from that I need to be able to keep up. I think part of the reason I am looking to other characters right now, is that I had reaching a holding pattern on what I would do with Trapper. So for now, he is waiting. Ha, he is even on vacation right now in the story. On a hammock. What I am assuming will happen, and it has a few times already, is that he is waiting for me to reach him. He then will be able to move forward. Coiling. His hair has coils, my Medusa. I can’t look to closely or I will explode.

The friends were very supportive, interested. And apparently I am factually correct in my imaginings. One woman, who is from a rural area, explained that men in those areas have a dearth of women to choose to marry. There are none. They have all moved on, so the men left have begun to purchase wives. It is happening more and more often and isn’t considered rare any longer. Small town news you don’t hear about. And my good friend here even has um, testicles of cows in her freezer. I was shocked. She said I could visit any time to have a glance. So gross. But there are festivals and such. I don’t think I would have the stomach to attend one of those. I will leave them to the courageous. I will just write. I can do that. How well is still to be determined, I am just worrying about the how right now. The how and the when fills my thoughts. The actual output feels like smoke drifting aloft. In sight, but light and airy and uncontained. Capturing this, him, the story, is fascinating. I watch it while I do it, and I believe the story will capture this too. The gift of this is ongoing. I am having a ball. Every pun intended!

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment