Sunday, August 14, 2005

Tête á Tête

I was going to write elsewhere but I am in a mood so I will write for those that want to read what I have to say.

Funny that a public readership is more private than locked posts elsewhere. Anyway, the story is moving slowly. I recently typed up what I had written on vacation. I have included some manipulation of real life events into the story. I think of them as cute additions, moments that develop character and since I was there I hope I am capturing something real rather than just relating imaginary moments. I was not participating in those invented moments, just watching and recording.

Once again I am at the place where I need to reread all of it. I still am happy enough with the plot and characterizations I have done. I think the characters are pretty fleshed out, but I want my actual prose to be better. I want my prose to reveal character even more, I want it full and dense and lively and sonically gorgeous. I want the verbs to be so active they scream and the characters to step off the page. I want you to see where they live, how they feel and get in their mind. I don’t think I have accomplished all of that yet. The other day someone mentioned ambition as to writing. I have heaps of that but whether I am successful in that is the rub. I am not yet. I know that. Never been a problem for me to admit my failings, heh, that is one of my failings.

It has been almost a year that I have worked on this story. October I think I started. Very intermittently I admit, and certainly with losses (hard drive Thanksgiving day disaster) but I am hoping it will add to the texture of the story. I have become one of those people who mine their life for their story. In fact though, I have realized that my life has ended up in the story without any aid from me. I don’t think that can be helped. I am not going to worry about that or else I won’t be able to write a thing. Not a single thing. Revelation you know! And so I am blogging about it. That is amusing to me.

Go and have a great day. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment