Wednesday, March 30, 2005

For those of us that don't think April is the cruelest month

st*rnosedmole

Hee, I might do this.

I wonder if I could manage something that wasn’t bunk for a whole month. We shall see.

Personally, I think May is the cruelest month, but who am I to argue with Elliot. I liked The Hollow Men and The Love Song of Prufrock much more than The Wasteland. It was a good beginning. Breeding cruelty, spring does, in my experience anyway.

Prufrock, though, showed us true alienation and loss. The Wasteland, big in title and size, didn’t capture it as well IMO. The personal is always more effective. It also contains one of my favorite lines of poetry: “I am no prophet -- and here's no great matter.” This sums up so much of how I feel about myself some days. It is really brilliant. Simply said, again simply can be most effective, must cutting and most truthful.

This poetry effort might be a fun contest of wills. My will to actually do this and my will to find the words. The battle of the thesaurus vs. my ideas. One begets the other. I am getting too old to remember all of the words I want to use, so thesauruses are very useful I find. “Almost at times, the Fool.” I have no problem with that either. Prophets and Fools are generally the same people anyway.

Thanks for reading and look forward to my poetry. For a whole month! Yes, I know I am scaring you all away with that just when my readership is going up! Marketing is not my strength apparently.

Have a good one and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:49 AM

    I personally think 'The Waste Land' is a better poem, but I'm inestimably fond of 'Prufrock', partly because it was the first Eliot, (except 'Old Possum'), which I actually figured out what was going on in, after having spent several years reading Eliot and going Meyruerugh?

    TCH

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Waste Land probably is. I find myself drawn to Prufrock more often and it has been years since I have read The Waste Land. I just may need to go back to it and rediscover it. I once checked out Old Possum from the library, paged through it, saw dancing cats and never looked back. Fickle as I am, I still find Prufrock the one that speaks to me the most.

    ReplyDelete